4/23/13

Spritzenhaus 33 | Brooklyn, New York


I was shooting with Jas on Saturday and, as we took a break during the cocktail hour and I stuffed my face with freshly rolled sushi (#reasonsilovemyjob), we started reminiscing about the old days.  More specifically, we were discussing how ambitious (read: insane) we once were with shooting weddings.  We used to shoot every weekend for months, often shooting several events in one weekend.  One time, we shot three weddings in three days.

Shooting a wedding is very physically demanding.  Or, at least, for those of us who generally tend to forget that we're a human being with physical limitations because we're so caught up in getting that sweeeeeet angle, then yes, it's hard on our bodies.  I don't know how I ever shot three weddings in three days and actually woke up from the week-long coma I slipped into afterwards.  Just kiddinggg... it was five days, tops.

There are a lot of photographers out there who shoot multiple weddings every weekend of the year - and some of them even turn out consistently beautiful work!  But for me, these days, I like to throw all of my energy and creativity into just one wedding on the weekends.  Last year, if I had a free day after a wedding, I could almost guarantee that I was laid out on my couch in a catatonic daze, computer precariously balanced on my lap next to my dog, who is so supportive of my laziness, by the way.  This year, I'm trying to break that habit and actually stay awake during the free portion of my weekends (have a life).

Sunday Funday developed accidentally after three Sundays in a row of staying in New York (whattt!)  and planning really fun activities with friends.  The first was spent hiking Breakneck Ridge (my fav Hudson Valley hike).  The next weekend, Nicole and I spent Sunday at the Inner Wall in New Paltz, where I released my inner twelve year old.  And yesterday, we relaxed with the physical activity already! in favor of drinking beers, eating thirty-six bavarian pretzels (thanks, Corbach!), and playing ULTIMATE Jenga at Spritzenhaus 33 in Greenpoint.  It was kind of really awesome and perfect and I was even more thrilled because BETSI showed up and I hadn't seen that girl in WAY too long.

Anyway, here are some photos I actually took, because hey! I take pictures of my life now too!  And here is a haphazard collection of notes and observations on said photos:
  • Spritzenhaus has a ton of games of Jenga laying around and the Jenga pieces have all been written on by various patrons of the establishment, which I love.  Some of the messages are sweet, some are hilarious, some are potentially offensive and some are just really silly.  Below are some favorites.
  • If you happen to stop by Spritzenhaus, you should get a bratwurst with curry ketchup on a pretzel bun and dedicate that meal to me, because I cannot pass up a good German meal.  It's just how I roll.
  • Ultimate Jenga is when you stack two Jenga games together, making an extra tall tower that isn't particularly steady to begin with.
  • I'm going to start incorporating the pose in the second to last photo into photo sessions and name it something like "the showcase" and I'll probably win loads of awards for it.  Thanks, B.
  • Sometimes when I reallyyy laugh (last photo) my nose scrunches up.  This is a trait I've inherited from my Mom.  We also have identical feet and crooked smiles.  I find all of these qualities we share super fascinating and awesome.










2 comments:

molly said...

i love this post! beautiful photos, and, yes, i will be having a bratwurst there and dedicating it to you.

Jordan said...

cooooooooool pics jac